Search Amway Leaders

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Amway Sales = Charity?

 It is understandable that Amway apologists may point to specific sales figures, which is nice and dandy. However, when I look at the kind of sales that Amway generates, the figures are inconsequential. I recently came across some comments that made me a little chuckle. After being invited to an Amway recruitment meeting by a friend, a prospect reportedly sat through the presentation (which was attended by no one else) and politely declined to register as a result of common politeness. The commenter went on to explain that, following the meeting, he felt terrible for his friend and decided to purchase something from his friend's IBO website, which he described as "feeling like making a charitable donation." The fact that Amway's products are mostly consumed by IBOs themselves and that less than 5 percent of Amway goods actually make it into the hands of non-IBO customers begs the question.

The question today is how much of the IBO retail sales are essentially charitable contributions made to IBOs by family and friends who simply feel sorry for their familiar IBO out of the minuscule amount of retail sales generated by the IBO industry. When I initially declined to join Amway under the sponsorship of my eventual sponsor, they did approach me and ask me to purchase some of their products. However, as a single male, my age group demography did not correspond to the products that were being promoted. If my recollection serves me correctly, I ended up purchasing the Amway liquid car wax. However, while the auto wax performed equally well as the other popular brands at the time, I recall that I paid approximately $12 for it around 1995. A large size bottle of Nu-Finish or Astroshield liquid auto wax is presently available for $7.99 at Target or other local retailers, and the store occasionally offers them on special for $5.99. So, in essence, if I purchase my vehicle wax on a shop special, I am receiving approximately twice as much car wax for the same amount. I understand that Amway zealots will want to compare the pricing with an online source, but as I previously stated, I prefer to make my purchases in person and to take advantage of store specials, which are held every couple of months in my area.

I'm aware that I've seen other members of my family and acquaintances involved in multi-level marketing at times. And while I was previously in their shoes, I now consider their efforts to be a little sad, especially considering that they are essentially following the same road that I followed as an IBO roughly 12 years ago. I do not discourage them, but just decline to see their plan or register as a downline. I have also provided philanthropic contributions to some acquaintances who have become interested in multi-level marketing on occasion. If nothing else, it's important to show your support for a friend. Ultimately, these MLM buddies came to the same conclusion as I did and departed on their own accord. Some of them follow my blog and some just quietly went into the sunset. They do not maintain an informative blog in the same manner as I do, but not everyone is able or willing to do so. (Does this sound familiar?)

To be honest, after reading some of the comments about the courteous friend who purchased an Amway product from a friend, I'm left wondering whether IBOs are actually making retail sales or whether they're simply receiving charitable contributions from friends and family in the form of Amway product purchases.

Share This
Previous Post
Next Post

Pellentesque vitae lectus in mauris sollicitudin ornare sit amet eget ligula. Donec pharetra, arcu eu consectetur semper, est nulla sodales risus, vel efficitur orci justo quis tellus. Phasellus sit amet est pharetra

0 comments:

Most Popular