Search Amway Leaders

Friday, September 3, 2021

Amway Shenanigans

 A reader offers their own tale as well as some sound advise.

From May 2012 until March 2013, I was a part of the Amway organisation. I was invited to a monthly seminar by a friend, and while I was overwhelmed by the dreadful pop music, in-time clapping, optimism overdose, and promises of accomplishing my "dreams" and "goals," I enjoyed myself nonetheless. I assumed my friend had invited me to my benefit, so I signed up that night under false pretences.

I played ball for a few months (because I still had some hope), attended most of the events (including three weekend conventions), purchased merchandise from the website, listened to the CDs, and even organised a house party to celebrate the introduction of the new book series. I was assigned to a decent team of normal folks who all appeared to be supportive of me.

While several of my pals were aware that it was a fraud, I chose to disregard them. As the holiday season approached, reality finally set in. When I temporarily lost my work in November, I was surviving on my meagre savings (due to all the money I'd spent on Amway) and was in desperate need of money. As a result, I was compelled to prioritise the most crucial aspects of my survival — paying rent and purchasing food – rather than spending my time with Amway. As a result of this wake-up call, I was able to see through Amway's "feel-good" schtick. They promise you the world by helping you to achieve your “dreams” and “goals,” but in reality, most of the money goes to the big players: the Diamonds, the Oblongs, the Rectangles, and so on. The majority of individuals who make it already have a lot of money and savings, and they don't need Amway; they're simply being overly selfish with their money.

Amway can be particularly harmful to those who are students, low-income earners, or who do not have a stable source of income, as it encourages them to spend money they do not have on things they do not require. During my time with Amway, I spent over $2,000 on various items and earned less than $100, according to my estimates. While I found the internet shopping aspect to be convenient, it is significantly less expensive to simply go to your local supermarket and purchase what you require. I started in late November and immediately lost interest after the October conference (because I needed to rebuild my financial situation). It took me until March to finally quit, primarily because my friend (who was now my "upline") was away on business and I wanted to do it face-to-face if I was going to leave the company. Within a couple of months, I had entirely ceased doing anything: no more CDs, no more shopping, no more social functions (I was always able to find a convenient excuse). My friend was fine with it when the March convention rolled around because I was straight with him about it. My departure from the convention took place on Saturday afternoon, and I didn't look back. It was a tremendous relief.

Looking back, I can see that Amway has had a detrimental impact on my emotional well-being. All of the feel-good nonsense, false hope, and emphasis on consumerism left me cynical and resentful, and I became a cynic. When individuals talk about their "dreams" and "goals," I give a big sigh and roll my eyes. I'm not nearly as optimistic about the future as I was before I started working with Amway. The worst part was that, if I hadn't been associated with Amway, my little period of unemployment would have been more comfortable in terms of finances. It is similar to most "get rich quick" schemes in that it is based on deception and a large amount of materialistic, shallow garbage. On the surface, it appears to be stating, "money is the only thing that matters." Shenanigans is what I call it. Yes, money is a wonderful thing for bringing peace of mind, but it does not bring happiness. If you want financial security, put in the effort, make good investments, and spend your money prudently.

Share This
Previous Post
Next Post

Pellentesque vitae lectus in mauris sollicitudin ornare sit amet eget ligula. Donec pharetra, arcu eu consectetur semper, est nulla sodales risus, vel efficitur orci justo quis tellus. Phasellus sit amet est pharetra

0 comments:

Most Popular